Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Concealer Showdown

A week just before returning home to South Africa I realized that I am almost out of corrector. I have been using Bobbi Brown’s corrector for my dark circles. I thought I’d wait to buy my next fix, as I just can’t live without the coverage. I used my last bit sparingly so that I could pick it from Duty Free in Dubai.

I got to the airport, to find that they do not stock Bobbi Brown, so instead I had to settle for MAC’s Studio finish concealer. 

After using MAC’s concealer for a couple of weeks, I felt the need to review the two products and share my views with you. 


I’m a great fan of Bobbi Brown’s mineral powder and one day as I’m strolling through the department store; I stop at the Bobbi Brown counter so that the assistant there could guide me to something that will cover up my dark circles. * sigh *

She introduced Bobbi Brown’s Corrector in dark bisque. The corrector is to be used under a concealer. The corrector is pink based to counteract bluish/greenish tones. Unfortunately they couldn’t offer me a concealer, as I was in Korea and they mainly cater for Asian skin tones.

I really did like the corrector, as there were no longer traces of dark circles under my eyes. It has a very creamy texture that applies and blends easily. After applying the corrector I would just use my Bobbi brown foundation stick over it and then apply Bobbi Brown’s mineral powder and my skin looked flawless. Excellent coverage.

However after a couple of hours into the day, I found that the corrector would have crept into the fine lines under my eyes. NO.NO.NO! It made me look a little older than I am. Consequently I would have to touch up my make up with the mineral powder throughout the day.

The corrector comes in a 1.4g packaging, which is tiny... It didn’t last very long. On the other hand I do love the fact that the little compact has a mirror inside. I did however purchase another and another until I that day I got to the airport, as I didn’t try anything new. Not because I didn’t want to but because the beauty houses in Korea rarely had a shade that matched my skin tone.
I should have known that once you go MAC you would never go back. When I first started using MAC studio finish foundation, I loved the excellent coverage that it gave. When I went on my Bobbi Brown splurge I figured I’d try their foundation, needless to say after the first stick of foundation I immediately returned to using MAC foundation.

Now I have never tried MAC concealer before, and I was forced to buy some sort of coverage for these dark circles of mine, so I settled for the MAC concealer at Dubai Airport’s duty free counter. Hey it’s duty free, and why pay more, when it’s beauty and perfume galore?

Yes, I have finally found a concealer that I am childishly happy about. I got the Studio finish concealer in NC45, which matches my skin tone beyond perfection. I’m also happy with the fact that it comes in a 7g compact. Which will probably last me for the next 4-5 months (hopefully). What I like about this concealer is that I can use it without foundation. If you going to do that remember to BLEND, BLEND, BLEND!!! It also has SPF 35, which is fantastic; I am all about sun protection. So for those really hot days when you don’t want to wear foundation, but still want to cover up, MAC’s concealer is perfect for you. And best of all, it does not creep into the fine (laughing/not aging) lines under your eyes.  It would have been nice if it had a mirror in the compact though.

Last but not least, because I’m a bargain hound and try to find everything and anything at a good price, the MAC concealer is more affordable than Bobbi Brown’s corrector. That will allow you to go out and get MAC lipstick in Jubilee or Morange if you dare!

Please note that this is only my opinion, feel free to share what you use and how it’s working for you. Different strokes for different folks.

Hope you are all having a great week. To my South African followers, HaPpY HuMaN RiGhTs DaY!!!

xxo

No comments:

Post a Comment